"I have always loved you," says the Lord.

~Malachi 1:2

Friday, February 20, 2009

So what's this about?

I know we are all put on this Earth for something, sometimes I wonder what my something really is. I know I'm doing what God wants me to do ministry-wise as well as profession-wise, but it's the rest I ponder. 

I have certain things I think that I am very good at: Math, Science, and things related. There are things that I know I should be good at: counseling, listening, being the best wife and mother, and etc. I think about, should I pursue getting better at these things? Well, the wife and mother goal is unquestionable, but the others, I'm not sure. 

Today, I was very disheartened when I learned that I didn't handle certain situations the right way. I did want to make them better, but I just don't know how. I'm not the most sensitive person when it comes to things like that, unfortunately. I feel for people, but I have absolutely no idea how to show that. 

For example, tonight, my grandpa was trying to open up to me about my grandma that just passed away. I sat on the phone and heard him cry, but I felt so hindered because I didn't want to cry myself. I felt like I was supposed to be strong in that situation, but inside I wanted to break down like crazy. 

Another example: one of my very best friends just went through such a bad time in labor and such. I went to see her, and on the way there I knew that she was upset. She just went through hell, and at that time, I didn't even know the brunt of it. We started to talk and she began to cry as she told the story. Inside, I was holding back the flood of tears that were trying to come out, but again, I felt as though it was inappropriate. She needed me to listen to her and probably give her some kind of encouragement, but I feel like I didn't give her what she needed. I felt ignorant and like a bad friend because I didn't know what to say. I just wanted to hug her and tell her that I was here for her - I did that to some extent, but why couldn't I show what was really going on inside of me?

So things like this leave me with the question: Is something emotionally wrong with me?

This of course comes with its antithesis. I don't show my emotions well, either. I hold so much inside and normally it just resides there until I have an emotional supernova one day. Most of my friends probably think I am some emotionless ingrate who doesn't feel a thing. I've grown up having to muster the courage through a lot of things in my life, and I've also learned to keep that happy face going through it all. Sometimes I believe I am scared to show the real Brandy for fear that people will judge me for how emotionally hurt I really am. 

Then again...do I want people to know?

2 comments:

  1. If there is something wrong with you then there is something wrong with me. When someone starts getting emotional around me...I start looking for the nearest exit cause all I can think about is running away. I have no clue what to do...do I say something? do I hug them? do I just sit there silent and continue to feel like an emotional moron cause IDK what to do?
    So it's not just you.

    Sometimes it's hard letting yourself be vulnerable. If your friends and family really love you then they will love all of you...good and bad because you can't truly love a person if you only love one side of them. It's kind of an all or nothing deal.

    Just wanted to put my 2 cents in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I believe this is why we are tied together, honestly. We are two of a kind! You're just insanely better at communication than I am!! :)

    ReplyDelete